I love sushi and my favorite rolls before I went vegan was the California roll and the spicy tuna roll. I experimentet a bit a fund that with only three ingredients you make a really good "tuna mix". What you need is tofu, vegan mayo and sriracha! Yes, that's it!
This roll I'm making here is more of a spicy tuna roll then a California roll, but when i craving California rolls I just exclude the sriracha and then also like to add cucumber in the rolls.
Before you get started you need to press the tofu. TO do that just cut the tofu in half, wrap in paper and lay something heavy on top for about 30 minutes, of you're in a hurry 10 minutes works fine.
- 1 block of tofu (pressed)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 avocado
- Sushi rice
- Rice vinegar
- Pickled ginger
- Soy sauce
- Nori sheets
- Shred the tofu with a cheese grater
2. In a bowl mix together the tofu, mayo and sriracha. Season with salt.
3. Cook the sushi rice following the instructions on the package or follow this recipe. Don't forget to season the rice with rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
4. To make the rolls with the rice on the inside start by wrapping your sushi mat with plastic wrap.
5. Cut you nori in half and place shiny side down on your sushi mat.
6. Place sushi rice on the nori seaweed and spread across evenly. Flip the nori and sushi rice so that the nori is facing upward. Put the tofu mix and 2-3 slices of avocado in a line in the middle slightly more towards the bottom.
7. Start rolling from the bottom, tucking the edge of the roll to fully enclose the filling. With the help from the mat roll the sushi until it's a firm roll.
8. With a sharp knife that it's slightly wet, cut the sushi into 6 pieces.
9. Serve with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi. I also added some extra sriracha mayo on top.